Wednesday, November 24, 2021

Laying out ships as a Shipwright/Lineman at Todd and Lockheed Shipyards - Seattle

I did layout on the #1 & #2 shipways for new construction at Todd Shipyard Seattle from the fall 0f 1979 till May of 1982 The HMAS SYDNEY - the ship on the ways in the foreground of the first image, was the second FFG I did layout on, and the first that I did full lay out from start to finish. The three FFGs in the water finishing construction and outfitting are, the 31- USS STARK, the first FFG I did layout work on, upon arrival at Todd Seattle. The 22 an the 28 are the USS FAHRION and the USS BOONE. The un-numbered FFG is the HMAS CANBERRA. I believe the HMAS SYDNEY was decommissioned in November of 2015.

The USS HALYBURTON was the third FFG I did full out at Todd, with the first two double bottoms aligned and made up on September 26, 1980, she was decommissioned in 2014. The 3rd of July 1981 HMAS Darwin was first laid down on the #1 shipway in ceremony, of placing, aligning for scribe, scribing and cut, then the marrying, then welding together of the two double bottoms. This was the fourth FFG I did the lay out on, and the first at Todd Seattle.
The HMAS DARWIN was the last of the four Oliver Hazard Perry class built by Todd Seattle(The Australian version is known as the Adelaide class.) The fifth FFG I did most the layout on the USS VANDEGRIFT, I completed layout of the hull, before taking a job at Lockheed.
The first FFG that I finished laying out on the ways, that was half completed when I arrived at Todd, the USS STARK was decommissioned in 1999 and scrapped in 2006. Remember the STARK, in 1987 an Iraqi jet fired two missiles at Stark, she was brought back to the US and repaired.
After my time at Todd, I moved on to Lockheed from May of 1982 till May of 1974 to layout the lead ship of the WHIDBEY ISLAND class LSD, the USS WHIDBEY ISLAND, and the second ship in that that class the USS GERMANTOWN built by that yard.

L-R Outfitting underway for the the USS FAHRION, un-numbered FFG is the HMAS CANBERRA, the USS BOONE, the USS STARK and the HMAS SYDNEY awaits launch from #2 shipways at Todd Shipyard Seattle.
HMAS SYDNEY
HMAS SYDNEY being outfitted - about 70% complete in this image
USS STARK Sea Trials
USS STARK passing by Naval Station Guantamano Bay
In the Persian Gulf - the USS Stark listing following two hits by Exocet missiles from a Iraqi aircraft, a Dassault Mirage F1 fighter
USS STARK departing Ingalls Shipyard after repairs
USS STARK leaving for sea trials after repairs at Ingalls Shipyard
HMAS DARWIN on shipway #1 at Todd Shipyard Seattle
HMAS DARWIN launch at Todd Seattle
HMAS DARWIN during Joint Forces Exercises.
HMAS DARWIN underway
HMAS CANBERRA launch at Todd Shipyards Seattle
USS HALYBURTON in 1985 during Operation Ocean Safari. Pictured here with the USS IOWA during replenishment of go juice.
USS IOWA replenishing the USS HALYBURTON
USS IOWA replenishing the USS HALYBURTON
A Sikorsky MH-60 Seahawk of HSM-46 (Helicopter Maritime Strike Four Six) known as the Grandmasters landing on the flight deck of the USS HALYBURTON.
USS WHIDBEY ISLAND
USS WHIDBEY ISLAND
USS WHIDBEY ISLAND

USS GERMANTOWN during flight operations
USS GERMANTOWN jogging along underway
USS GERMANTOWN anchored view of the well deck
USS GERMANTOWN launching a landing craft air cushion
USS WHIDBEY ISLAND in port berth
Amphibious Assault Vehicle from the USS GERMANTOWN

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cruise to the PNW's San Juan Islands

  Took a cruise to the San Juan Islands with Linda , Phil & Lisa , grandson Finn and grandson Averey . It was a fun trip with great weat...